when in doubt…bake a cake. (Not in excess, because we don’t like it when people stockpile and buy too much stuff).
Let’s bake a carrot cake! And let’s also make this very clear - I did not come up with the recipe myself. I am, at best, a mediocre baker. If you’re like me (i.e. bored, wanting to find things to do and experiment a little bit because you’re bored), then this might be fun! The original recipe can be found here.
Here are the things you need:
- 350g self-raising flour
- 325g dark soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250g carrots
- 75g walnuts
- 4 medium eggs
- 200ml olive oil
- 4 tbs milk
- 180g full fat cream cheese
- 30g icing sugar
- 25g walnuts
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 22cm round cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, roughly chopped walnuts and grated carrots in a large bowl.
- Beat together the eggs, olive oil and milk in a large jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients slowly, stirring to make sure all the flour is incorporated.
- Tip the cake mixture into the lined cake tin and cook for 1h15, or until a skewer (or a fork) comes out clean.
For the (optional) frosting, simply:
Mix the cream cheese and icing sugar together and spread it on the top of the cake. Sprinkle the finely chopped walnuts on the top.